Last saturday’s class at Gigi Dining Hall & Bar, Wine 101 by Top Tables Champions in collaboration with Longdo Dict, was packed with 30 wine connoisseurs who came to learn the theory and wine tasting from Thailand’s leading wine expert, Kim Wachtveitl of Wine Garage.
Kim walked us through the world of wine, from the process of making, wine tasting etiquette, to the selection of it. The class taught how to order and select the best wine from retail and restaurants. Here are some interesting tips and terms we’ve learnt:
- Some cool wine vocabulary: Fruit forward, earthy, tannin, dry, typicity, complexity, and crowd pleaser.
- Screw caps are usually better for preservation than the classic traditional wooden corks from Portugal.
- Red wine is better served in a larger glass.
- The best way to store is to keep the bottle horizontal.
- Lightest wine body is served the coldest.
Not just this, the guests also had a chance to swirl the glass, and smell and taste 8 different types of wine with food and snacks in a very low-key and friendly atmosphere.
Expect more awesome classes from us soon.